Day Two - Friday 30 October, 2020
08:30 Virtual Event Platform Opens. Login & familiarize yourself with the platform features and introduce yourself to other participants.
08:50 Chair's Opening Remarks
"Apply The Right Chemical At The Dose At The Right Time"
Optimizing Your Chemical Injection Management Program To Prevent Well Failures
Managing the cost of chemical treatment in a low price environment requires the ability to accurately track the amount of chemical you are using as well as the effectiveness of that chemical. In this opening session on day two, leading operators evaluate the strategies and technologies they are implementing to meet this challenge.
OPENING PANEL: DELIVER THE CHEMICAL AS YOU PLAN TO DELIVER THE CHEMICAL
09:00 Accurately Track How Much Chemical You Are Using & Make Effective Real-Time Adjustments To Your Chemical Treatment Program
Effectively monitoring chemical usage not only brings down operating costs and chemical spend, but also offsets the risk of well failures caused by chemical run outs. What are the technologies & applications operators are investing in and with what results?
- What are the chemical monitoring tools being utilized by leading operators to ensure they are not over-injecting?
- In what areas are operators applying monitoring and analytic technologies and what are the factors driving these decisions?
- How can data analytic tools and machine learning give you a better system oversight and how can this be utilized to optimize production?
- What are the costs associated with implementing these tools and what is the economic case for their use?
Steve Appleyard, Principal Scientist, Production Assurance, ConocoPhillips
Paul Mason, Chemical Management Specialist, Devon Energy
Ron MacLeod, Senior Chemical Advisor, Noble Energy
09:35 Extended Virtual Question & Answer Session
Paraffin Prevention & Remediation
Cost Effective Paraffin Mitigation Treatments For Increased Production
TREATMENTS TO REMEDIATE & REMOVE PARAFFIN WAX DEPOSITS
10:00 Effectively Combine Thermal, Chemical & Mechanical Treatments To Prevent & Remediate Precipitated Paraffin
With a range of chemical & non-chemical solutions being offered, what are the optimal strategies for combining each to prevent and treat paraffin deposition?
- How can continuous chemical treatment be optimized so to reduce costs without bringing on undue risk?
- How can the carrying capacity and conditions for paraffin wax be diminished?
- How effective are mechanical interventions to prevent paraffin deposition and at what rate do such interventions need to be applied?
- Once paraffin has built up in the well, how do you remediate it as efficiently and as cost-effectively as possible?
Mark Rudolph, Field Chemical Specialist, Discovery Natural Resources
10:35 Virtual Question & Answer Session
Iron Sulfide Scaling Prevention
Discover The New Chemistries & Technologies For Scale Inhibition & Control
The formation of iron sulfide scale can result in the loss of injectivity or the productivity from the well, resulting in costly well failures and workovers. What are the new chemistries and technologies to prevent & inhibit scale?
10:45 How To Impact Scaling Tendencies Using The Latest Chemistries To Reduce Failures & Improve Profitability
Operators need to be able minimize scale build-up whilst also controlling their operational costs. Which are the chemistries that will deliver this and how are they to be applied for optimal results?
- What are the new scale inhibitor chemistries and how effective are they from an operational and economic standpoint?
- What are the optimal chemical injection rates of such inhibitors and how do they perform in different circumstances?
- How do the new chemistries deliver improvements on what has been tried and tested before?
- What are the economic considerations that need to be weighed up when assessing continuous chemical injection against complete acidization of the well?
Iva Tomova, Senior Staff Production Engineer, Oasis
Paul Mason,Chemical Management Specialist, Apache
11:10 Virtual Question & Answer Session
IDENTIFYING SCALE OCCURRENCE
11:20 How To Proactively Determine Which Scales Are Forming & Where To Control & Iron Sulfide Scale
Scale control has tended to be reactive rather than proactive, an approach which comes with considerable costs. But with technological advancements in identifying scale occurrence, how can operators seize the initiative and remove the effects of scale on their production?
- What are the analytic tools to give warning of scaling conditions downhole to predict production impairment?
- How can better visual observation tools reveal the presence of early solid forming deep in the well-bore?
- How can the physical detection of scale in the wellbore be optimized to warn of early scale formations?
- What are the latest innovations in computer simulation and modelling technologies to allow for the accurate prediction of scale?
Jacob Moehrig, Production Engineer, EP Energy
Nick Nikham, EOR Mechanical Integrity Engineer Advisor, Oxy
11:35 Virtual Question & Answer Session
Tracking & Monitoring For Advanced Chemical Injection & Delivery
Optimize Treatment Rates Through The Implementation &
Application Of Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
Technological advancements in AI, machine Learning & advanced modelling promise to overhaul the efficacy of chemical treatment programs. But which are the technologies operators should be looking at optimize their treatment rates and bring down their operational expenditure? And how effective are they?
ACCURATE FIELD TESTING & MODELLING
12:15 Discover The New Testing Technologies Which Allow For The Accurate Modelling & Testing Of Conditions & Chemicals Downhole
An inability to accurately replicate downhole conditions hampers efforts to prescribe the right chemical at the right dose at the right time. What are the latest technologies and testing methods allowing operators to close this gap? How are the results impacting their chemical management programs?
- How are laboratories closing the gap between field conditions & lab conditions to more accurately prescribe chemicals & chemical dosages?
- How has modelling technology evolved to allow operators to accurately predict issues before they occur?
- How have testing procedures developed to allow laboratories to better diagnose issues?
- What testing procedures and practices can field engineers put in place to assist lab companies in diagnosing threats?
- How are lab companies collaborating with operators to innovate and develop future improvements?
12:40 Virtual Question & Answer Session
REMOTE TANK MONITORING
12:50 Evaluate The Effectiveness Of Remote Tank Monitoring In Tracking Chemical Usage Over Time & Reducing Overall Chemical Spend
By knowing when a tank needs attention, efficient logistics can be planned and damaging chemical run outs can be avoided. But how effective are tank monitors in optimizing chemical management programs?
- What are the technologies available that will allow you to accurately monitor your chemical usage?
- How can real-time monitoring of results allow you to make real-time adjustments in your chemical injection program?
- How can the data analytics behind tank monitoring be optimized to ensure that the right amount of chemical is being delivered?
- How has this technology allowed operators to become more efficient with their manpower?
13:15 Virtual Question & Answer Session
ADVANCED DATA ANALYTICS FOR CHEMICAL INJECTION
14:30 Discover How Advanced Data Analytics & The Digitization Of Chemical Injection Can Increase The Efficiency & Effectiveness Of Chemical Treatment Programs
Are you delivering the chemical as you planned to deliver the chemical? And on what basis are you making these calculations? In this session, we explore how advanced data analytics and digital chemical injection can assist in managing risks whilst also reducing your operational and chemical expenditure.
- In what operational areas can data analytics be implemented to reveal the true cost and effectiveness of your chemical injection program?
- How can you ensure that all available data is being utilized and communicated effectively?
- What tools are available to accurately predict threats and downtime events? How can you implement machine learning to prevent these?
- What are the systems that need to be in place for production rates to be properly scrutinised and optimized going forward?
14:50 Virtual Question & Answer Session
Asphaltene Precipitation & Hydrate Management
Cost Effective Paraffin Mitigation Treatments For Increased Production
Asphaltene & hydrate formations both carry with them the risks of blockages, rupturing equipment and harming the productivity of a producing well. In this next section, we assess the latest chemistries for both, evaluating their effectiveness in reducing the risk posed to well production & efficiency.
HYDRATE CONTROL & ASPHALTENE INHIBITORS
15:45 Discover The Kinetic Hydrate Inhibitors To Shift Thermodynamic Conditions Downhole & Prevent Well Failures & Learn About The New Asphaltene Inhibitor Chemistries That Will Lessen Precipitation & Enhance Flow
Hydrates can form plugs and stop flow. Achieving effective hydrate prevention not only reduces the risk of failures, but is also essential in maximizing the economics of the well.
- What are the latest hydrate & asphaltene inhibitors chemistries and how cost-effective are they?
- How do they compare to tried and test hydrate & asphaltene inhibitors? How do they work and under what circumstances?
- How do they perform over the life-time of the well? At what rate are they to be applied and what are the cost implications?
- To what extent to they avoid hydrates forming altogether?
16:30 Virtual Question & Answer Session
The Economics Of Production Chemical Optimization
Preserving The Asset & Optimizing Production Going Forward
The unprecedented nature of recent times demand that operators respond effectively to the challenges of the moment. But as operators look to not only mitigate current challenges but offset future ones, how should they be prioritizing their production chemical spend & investment.
END OF CONFERENCE PANEL: INVESTING FOR LONG-TERM ECONOMIC PROSPERITY
16:45 Prioritize Spend & Investment In Your Chemical Management Program To Reduce Failures & Prepare For An Eventual Market Rebound
In this end of conference panel, we look at the long-term economic considerations for production chemical management spend and investment?
- In what ways can you design your chemical & asset integrity management program to reduce costs down the line?
- What are the economic arguments underpinning investment in certain chemicals and technologies?
- What do operators anticipate will be the economic environment going forward and how will this impact chemical management?
- What have operators learned from the recent low price environment and how will this factor into future contingency planning?
R. Dean Foreman, Chief Economist, API
Nick Goodman, VP Surface Operations, Birch Resources
Mehdi Sadeghi, Area Asset Manager, Americo Energy Resources
17:10 Virtual Question & Answer Session
17:20 Chair's Closing Remarks
17:30 End of Conference